Game development & design. Learn C# using Unity 4.6, 5 & 2018. Your first 2D Unity games for web, Mac & PC
- 53.5 hours on-demand video
- 21 Articles
- 42 Supplemental Resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion\
- What Will I Learn?
- Learn C#, a powerful modern language, from scratch. No prior programming experience is necessary.
Become excellent at using the Unity game engine.
Build a solid foundation for game design and game development that will help you build your own games.
- Learn how object oriented programming works in practice.
- Personally create playable game projects – good for your portfolio, or just for your own sense of achievement.
- Transfer your knowledge to .NET, other languages, and more.
- Develop highly transferable coding problem solving skills.
- Be part of an amazing and supportive community of people similar to you.
- Mac or PC capable of running Unity 2018.
- Optional: A free download of Unity 5 to review the original content of the course.
- A passion and willingness to learn how to code.
Spring 2018 – We have started updating this entire course to the BRAND-NEW Unity 2018! The early content is in Unity 4.6, then we move to Unity 5, then Unity 2018 in TileVania. All content will be replaced from start to end starting in May.
This course started as a runaway success on Kickstarter and has gone on to become the most popular and most watched Unity course on Udemy. The course has full English closed-captions throughout.
Learn how to create video games using Unity, the world-leading free-to-use game development tool. We start super simple so you need no prior experience of Unity or coding! With our online tutorials, you’ll be amazed what you can achieve right from the first moment you start the course.
Benefit from our world-class support from both other students, and the GameDevtv team who are regularly engaged in the forums and Q&A section. Go on to build several games including:
- Laser Defender: A Top-Down Space Shooter with enemies to shoot and dodge;
- Glitch Garden: A Tower Defense game with different tower types and enemy types, and a basic resources system;
- TileVania: A fast-paced classic Side-Scrolling Platformer using Unity’s Tilemap tool;
- Block Breaker: A basic “Breakout” style game which introduces Unity’s built in physics engine.
You will have access to a course forum where you can discuss topics on a course-wide basis, or down to the individual video. Our thriving discussion forum will help you learn and share ideas with other students. Check out our reviews to see how people love this feature.
Unity 2018 Remaster: This well-loved and highly-tuned course is taught initially in Unity 4 and then in following sections in Unity 5. This content is still incredibly valuable and relevant. As part of our ongoing commitment to our students, we are remastering the entire course in Unity 2018 to show you the newer tools that Unity has to offer.
The course is project-based, so you will not just be learning dry programming concepts, but applying them immediately to real indie games as you go. All the project files will be included, as well as additional references and resources – you’ll never get stuck. There are talking-head videos, powerful diagrams, quality screencasts and more.
Oh, and it’s just bigger and better than other Unity courses you will find online. See the course length and the reviews.
For each demo game you build you will follow this process…
- Be challenged to build the entire game yourself.
- Be shown step-by step how to build it.
- Be challenged to apply, and re-apply your knowledge regularly.
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee. The creators are qualified and experienced coders and avid gamers, so are able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
You will learn C#, and in turn build a solid foundation for Object Oriented Programming. By the end of the course you’ll be very confident in the basics of coding and game development, and hungry to learn more.
What this course DOESN’T cover…
Whereas this course is already huge, we can’t possibly cover everything in that time. Here are some things we will not be covering…
- Performance optimization.
- Editor plugins or modifications.
- Physics engine modification*
* Separate mini-course to cover these this now available.
Anyone who wants to learn to create games: Unity is a fantastic platform which enables you to make production-quality games. Furthermore these games can be created for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and Web from a single source!
If you’re a complete beginner, we’ll teach you all the coding and game design principles you’ll need. If you’re an artist, we’ll teach you to bring your assets to life. If you’re a coder, we’ll teach you game design principles.
Note: access to this course comes with an optional, free community site where you can share games and art assets, as well as connect with other students.
Dive in now, you won’t be disappointed!Who is the target audience?
- Competent and confident with using a computer.
- Artists who want to learn to bring their assets into games.
- Some programming experience helpful, but not required.
- Complete beginners who are willing to work hard.
- Developers who want to re-skill across to game development.